The Noble Palace "Michiel Brusà" faces the Grand Canal and is located on the opposite side to that of the Rialto fish market.
Its peculiar name "Brusà" ("burned") comes from the devastating fire of 1774 that destroyed it almost entirely. Thanks to fundings from the Serenissima, bestowed upon ancient merits of the Michiel family, the Palace was rebuilt, reusing the few surviving elements, such as the splendid Gothic windows of the fifteenth century that characterize the two main floors. In everlasting memory of the tragic event, the facade still bears the latin inscription
QUOS IGNIS CONSUMPSIT PATRIA MEMENTA MAJORUM NEPOTIBUS PATRIOS LARES RESTITUIT S.E. VIDUS IANUARIJ 1777
The first floor of the building hosts an annual exhibition of the European Cultural Center, part of the circuit of La Biennale di Venezia.